Google Testing Ad Supported Free Videos
Interestingly, Google serves-up the ads at the end of the videos and the service will allow viewers to watch premium content for free.
How it works:
1. Advertisers select and bid to sponsor individual videos.
2. The winning bidders for each video are promoted in three ways:
– The ability to run a 15-30 second post-roll video ad
– Persistent branding while the video is playing through a text and icon above the video player
– A listing on the sponsored videos page
3. If a user navigates to one of the sponsored videos, we only show the in-stream video ad once the video has finished playing. If the user clicks the text, logo or visible URL above the video window, they will be taken to the advertiser’s site.
4. At the conclusion of the campaign, the advertiser will receive stats on the performance of his/her campaign.
It will be interesting to see how many people actually watch the ads. While it’s great that Google is not ramming the ads down viewers throats before watching the content, click-thrus will surely be lower by placing the ad after the video.