As MarketingSherpa President Anne Holland noted, this finding indicates how important it is for marketers to mearsure longer conversion cycles than just click-buy.
Noting that every page is a landing page these days, MarketingSherpa also offered four suggestions to improve the conversion cycle:
- Add “About Us” blurbs to every conceivable entry point
- Grab emails early on — before the shopping cart
- Content: give more product info than the competition does
- Exclusive here-only bonuses
Oddly enough, some of these suggestions contravene conventional landing page advice, especially #1. Just today, the Copywriting Maven (writing on Copyblogger) did a copywriting makeover on SEOmoz’s Premium Membership page. Her first recommendation?
1. Remove all the extraneous material from the most valuable real estate on your landing page – the area “above the fold”, the visitor’s first screen view.
Eliminate all the sign-ins, search and navigational links. They are all reasons and exits from the landing page and your message.
(I do have to insert here that I’m such a such a spelling stickler that putting a capital ‘M’ in SEOmoz probably bugs me more than it does Rand Fishkin.)