Many web sites struggle with their own site search options. There are many options, but they tend to come in two sizes; “free and crappy”, or “works well but costly.” Google today announced the launch of Google Custom Search Business Edition, which it hopes will sit nicely between those that use the AdWords supported free custom search and its Search Appliance (which starts at $2k).
Google’s CSBE gives you Google’s search capabilities without having to install any hardware and free of any annoying ads. For this privilege, you’ll pay $100 per year for web sites of up to 5,000 pages, and $500 per year for web sites of up to 50,000 pages.
CSBE features include:
- Full customization of the look and feel
- XML feed of search results – for those that really want to customize
- Add labels to refine search results
- Daily and monthly reporting – how often people search and what they search for
- More than a dozen languages supported
One big caveat, if your site is not already fully indexed by Google, don’t bother signing up. CSBE will only display those pages that are already in Google’s index, so don’t expect any preferential treatment. If you want 100% indexing of your site’s pages, you’ll need the hardware version.
Still have questions? They’ve produced this quick video demo.