To date, these acquisitions include:
- July 2007, TACODA, behavioral targeting ad network
- May 2007, ADTECH AG, ad-serving and e-mail marketing network
- May 2007, Third Screen Media, mobile ad serving
- May 2006, LightningCast, streaming video/audio ad serving
- 2004, Advertising.com, direct-response network
All of these acquisitions came under the Advertising.com branch of AOL. The new advertising unit, MediaPost reports, will be called Platform A and will reach 90% of Internet users. The former CEO of TACODA, Curt Viebranz, will head the division.
By finally and thoroughly coordinating its advertising lines, AOL hopes to revamp its fortunes. MediaPost says that media buyers have positive initial impressions of the new AOL ad division.
If perception is 90% of reality, at least one new aspect of the company is already working in their favor: the division has moved its headquarters from Dulles, VA, to New York City (which, while not a great city of origin for salsa, is a great city of origin for an advertising network).