1) Emailing a house list is delivering orders for less than $7 each. This is a real bargain when compared to banner ads ($71.89), paid search ($26.75), and affiliate programs ($17.47).
2) 88% of the merchants surveyed indicated that email became a higher priority during 2007.
3) The average click through rate on house email is 11% with a 6% conversion rate.
4) The average retailer mails its list 64 times each year.
5) Merchants rated different types of marketing emails based on use and effectiveness.
– Online-only promotions (71% use and 66% say it is effective)
– Segmented emails based on stated preferences or purchase history (63% use, 60% effective)
– New product announcement (73% use, 51% effective)
– Shopping cart abandonment (17% use, 13% effective)
– Promoting partners (29% use, 9% effective)
Emailing your house list is one of the easiest ways to increase revenue, but few merchants seem to have a good strategy for taking advantage of it. It is not enough to just email in adhoc fashion when you remember to do it; you need to spend some time planning your campaigns. As this study shows, that planning could pay bigger dividends than the time you spend planning most other marketing efforts.