Forrester has some great statistics related to the holiday season for online retailers:
1. 61% of online shoppers prefer an e-tailer that offers free shipping. However, 49% say shipping prices do not deter them from buying.
2. Only 26% say they would pay for expedited delivery. (It was 45% last year.)
3. 55% say they shop online to find products they can’t find offline.
4. Only 18% would pay extra for gift wrapping (down from 33%).
5. The top categories for online shopper this holiday season? In order: apparel, books, electronics, gift cards and toys
6. 68% of internet users shop online or research products online. 50% of those users window shop only (research information) and then buy offline. This is interesting—it seems to indicate that only about 1/3rd of internet users are really online shoppers.
7. The higher the income, the more likely a user is to shop or research products online.
8. Here are the biggest deterrents of online shopping in order: credit card security, privacy, shipping costs, quality, return policies, delays and product availability.
This is our dead season of the year because no one thinks about health supplements during the holidays. Our high point comes in January and February. How is your business this time of year?