Tom provides a terrific step by procedure to follow to generate UGL.
- Find a forum with a decent traffic level in your niche
- Spend some time contributing to the community, get your name respected and ensure the mods don’t see you as a spammer (having a trusted profile in your niche community/forum is worth its weight in gold—treat this as a serious investment and don’t ruin it for a one-shot chance at linkbait)
- Start a post on the forum with the seed of an idea, and a couple of examples from you
- Let the forum community chip in their own ideas and funny comments and let them grow the idea for you
- Wait for the thread to die down and compile all the best bits from it
- Write this up into a piece of linkbait for your site
- Social media success!
Tom goes on to give an excellent description of how the process might work and some important guidelines to remember if you are going to attempt the process. Tom stresses that the process should be an easy one for those people participating in communities that they are already active in and odds are already passionate about. It seems like it would clearly a bit more time consuming and challenging if you were starting from scratch. Tom also provides a number of good thoughts to ponder before you begin.
Anyway you look at the idea if you own a niche site and are active in a similar online community this idea seems like one well worth testing out if nothing else. This is one of those ideas that seems like so much common sense that everyone would be doing it, except that until someone actually puts it down in words most people, myself included, just are missing the opportunity.