Ask has a small piece of search market share but they have been a leader in universal search. That is, they integrate search results for more than web sites – but for images, video, local information, news, blogs, and other media. Ask got further into social media integration with their recently launched social news aggregation site BigNews.
Of course, Ask occupies a tiny sliver of the overall search volume. Here’s the breakdown on the top 4 search engines:
- Google Sites – 7.7 billion searches (comScore says Google got 58.4% of searches in January)
- Yahoo! – almost 2.5 billion searches
- Microsoft – 1.1 billion searches
- AOL – 903 million searches
- Ask.com – under 500 million searches and about 4% of the market
- They don’t have a nofollow on any of their links
- Local businesses can submit their business manually to Ask’s local portal AskCity. If you’re not included and want to be, you have to send an email request.
- Ask owns blog reader Bloglines and they rank blogs partly based on their popularity on Bloglines.