- Lack of reach
- Poor measurement
- Isolation/lack of integration of mobile
- No “hallelujah moment” (a mobile campaign so wildly successful that everyone will want to emulate its success in the medium)
Cuneo doesn’t just offer disappointment, however. She offers hope as well, by outlining what we’ll need to overcome these hurdles. Her vision for the future (possibly as soon as 2009, though I have to say that sounds like hype ) includes:
- More universally accessible mobile Internet (both through more affordable plans and more advanced mobile phones).
- Developments in exposure and conversion tracking technology.
- Increased uniformity; the demise of mobile carriers’ “walled gardens”; competition from open platforms and carriers.
- Better ad campaign integration across several media.
- Time (and, of course, that “hallelujah” moment).
Some contend that a single, watershed year is unlikely in mobile marketing—the year of mobile is a misnomer. But what do you think it will take for mobile to have “arrived”?