SMX Advanced: Link Building Strategies

By Vinny Lingham

Other than the weather in Seattle, my trip to SMX Advanced was fantastic.  Danny Sullivan & co have done an amazing job by creating a conference circuit that even the most advanced Search Marketers found stimulating.  My key takeaway from the conference was that there is a fine line between so called “White Hat” & “Black Hat” SEO – and most people don’t know where one begins and the other ends.

One of the most important sections of SEO is link building, which was one of the main focuses on the conference.  I’ve purposefully removed all the tactics that I considered to be “Black Hat”, as I don’t think it’s in anyone’s interest to have these tactics promulgated.

Roger Monti spoke first about .edu Link hunting

Pilgrim’s Picks for June 24

No funny videos for today’s Picks. Just good, wholesome internet marketing news. In fact, did you know that consuming one serving of Pilgrim’s Picks daily will make you, well, you know…more regular? :-)

Just Like Global Warming, Google’s New Ad Planner is Not a Real Threat Either…Not!

I wonder how many people in the interactive advertising industry are feeling suckered by Google this morning.

For the past few years, Google has continually downplayed its threat to ad agencies and marketing technology companies. “We’re not a threat, we just want to help,” tends to be the main theme.

Meanwhile, Google continues to gradually creep forward with its encroachment. Like the rising seas, its advancement is often unnoticed until, all of a sudden, we’re ten feet under water.

OK, the headline. I’ve not forgotten the point of this post. Google today announced Google Ad Planner, a free research tool that will help “connect advertisers with publishers.”

Nokia Acquires Symbian, Ready to Battle iPhone and Android

Yesterday’s news that Nokia acquired location based social network Plazes, was worthy only of making our Pilgrim’s Picks. Today’s news that Nokia has acquired mobile platform Symbian–and plans to make it open source–is definitely worthy of its own post.

Nokia already owned 48% of Symbian, but is willing to pay around $410 million in cash to acquire the remaining 52%.

So, what’s Nokia’s plan for Symbian?

Nokia on Tuesday also said it and other mobile phone makers such as Motorola, Inc , LG, Samsung and Sony Ericsson along with operators AT&T, NTT DoCoMo, Vodafone Group  and chipmakers Texas Instruments and STMicroelectronics have formed the non-profit Symbian foundation to drive innovation in mobile services.

Google to Start-ups: “We’ll show you ours, if you let us steal yours”

If LimitNone LLC wins the lawsuit it just filed against Google, it could send a warning signal to other start-ups: don’t show Google your wares, because it will steal your technology out from under you.

That’s effectively what LimitNone is saying, with its lawsuit alleging Google stole its system for migrating Microsoft Outlook customers to Gmail.

The case details LimitNone’s meetings starting in March 2007 with Google to build a tool it called "gMove" for moving the e-mail, address books and calendars of corporate customers from Microsoft Corp’s Outlook into Gmail. The suit alleges Google had trouble building a similar tool.

LimitNone said it entered a confidentiality deal with Google to share trade secrets of its e-mail migration tool with Google engineers, sales people and key Google Apps customers.

The News in Brief, June 23

Either I’m really running high on the productivity scale or it’s a really slow news day. Knowing me, it ain’t my productivity. So here are the select few stories that weren’t quite worth a post, but are worth a look:

Revaluing Social Networks: TechCrunch looks at another way to assign valuations to social networks. He’s calculated the average Internet ad spend per user in each country, then multiplied that out by the number of users for each social network in each country (where data is available, of course).

Who comes out on top? MySpace, of course, though their lead over Facebook in dollar terms depends on which recent deal in social networking you base the index on. And the country with the highest ad spend per user? The UK ($213), followed by Australia ($148) and Denmark ($144) (then the US with $132).

Pilgrim’s Picks for June 23

Some Mondays just seem to go like this:

For the rest of us, we take it in our stride and read today’s Picks: