The guide gives bloggers some basic Search Engine Optimisation tips like linking to internal pages within your blog and adding a sitemap to your blog. However it also gives advice on a lot of non-SEO issues like promotion and encourages bloggers to ‘Write well and often‘.
Here is a quick summary of what Google suggests bloggers should do :
Create great content
- Write well and often
- Follow the webmaster guidelines
- Categorize your posts
- Make sure users (and crawlers) can easily find your blog
- If necessary, limit comment spam
- Check our tips for affiliate sites
Make sure readers and crawlers can find your content
- Create descriptive titles for each of your posts
- Connect with your online community
- Publish a feed of your content
Your blog and Webmaster Tools
- Add your blog to your Webmaster Tools account
- Verify your blog
- Submit a Sitemap
I know that blogging is an incredibly popular medium but I find it strange how they have only written a guide for bloggers. Perhaps they will extend this section at a later date and include tips for forum owners etc.
The guide doesn’t cover anything which experienced webmasters will not know but it’s a useful guide nonetheless and one which I’m sure will help new bloggers.
Kevin Muldoon is the owner of Blogging Tips, a blog dedicated to helping bloggers succeed online.