The big question isn’t, is Microsoft planning to cut 15,000 employees from its workforce? Nope, the big question is, why is everyone so shocked?
All you have to do is consider the facts:
- Windows Vista was a bust, and MSFT is moving quickly to get Windows 7 to the market.
- Windows Live Search still can’t catch Google–and failed attempts to buy Yahoo cost the company time and money.
- Who really needs Microsoft Office, when we can either download free alternatives or, in my opinion even better, move to the cloud?
- XBox 360, while doing better than the Playstation 3, was "pwnd" by Nintendo’s Wii gaming system.
- The Zune? Yeah, folks just loved it when their iPod alternative froze recently–that’ll help sales.
I could go on, but you get the point. We’re in a recession and companies are having to make drastic cuts and, unfortunately, Microsoft is not immune from this.