Google Calendar Gets Labs
A year ago, Gmail added a “lab” to introduce optional and experimental features. If you were worried about the future of Gmail Labs when Gmail finally came out of beta last week, I think we don’t have to worry anymore.
This week, another app that lost its beta status premieres a new Labs feature—Google Calendar. Google Blogoscoped noticed the addition today.
The first Labs features are:
- Adding a background image
- Attaching a Google Documents document, spreadsheet or presentation (but you have to share the doc in Gdocs to give others access)
- World clock so you can see your friends’ local times
- Jump to date for faster navigation
- Countdown clock to your next meeting
- Your friends’ status—free or busy (depending on whether they’ve shared their calendars with you)
We were initially disappointed with Gmail Labs (and they’ve only added a few of our suggestions). What do you think? Could Gcal have chosen better, more useful premiere labs, or is this a good start? Will you use these? What would you like to see added?