Marketing Pilgrim's "Research" Channel

Sponsor Marketing Pilgrim's Research Channel today! Get in front of some of the most influential readers in the Internet and social media marketing industry. Contact us today!

Google #1 Site Worldwide with 6% Global Traffic

Google CrownWhat do you get when you analyze nearly 300 quadrillion megabytes of Internet traffic? Aside from really tired, I mean. Well, if you’re Arbor Networks, you get the largest study of global Internet traffic since the beginning of the commercial Internet in the ’90s. And ten guesses who came out on top. (No fair cheating, reading the headline!)

Yep, Google received 6% of all traffic worldwide. Meanwhile, 29 other giants, including Facebook, Yahoo and Microsoft, rounded out the top 30% of traffic—meaning that these days, a few big sites are getting a lot of the Internet’s traffic.

Considering that only 52% of Internet traffic is web-based, this is even more significant. (The other 48% is made up of email and private networks. And did you know that P2P constitutes 18% of Internet traffic? That’s down from 40% two years ago.)

The study shows a few interesting Internet traffic shifts in recent years, and not just in P2P data (though Read Write Web says the shift away from P2P is probably due to the growing popularity of streaming from YouTube, Hulu and Netflix, with up to 20% of web traffic coming from video). As we see so often, the big sites are acquiring more and more of the little sites, amassing a greater and greater percentage of web traffic—and consolidating traffic more and more into the hands a few companies.

Who makes up the rest of the oligarchy?

The other companies making the list of Internet giants include names like Akamai, Limelight, BitGravity, Highwinds, and Gravity – hardly household names, and certainly not big telco providers. Instead, these content delivery networks (CDNs), are the new Internet backbone that help move large amounts of data across the web.

Arbor Networks Chief Scientist Craig Labovitz says that “as content is getting faster and better quality it will change the face of the internet.” What do you think? Is content the next wave of Internet revolution?

  • http://YouBrandInc.com Brian Fanslau

    I’ve been reading a bit of this all day and it has been truly interesting to see the trend of Social Media and King Pin Google roll out with the largest traffic. I feel this will impact the way businesses set themselves up for success and advertising here in the future since it has become so very evident that they will need to begin advertising and reaching for their audience where they spend the most time. Great post Jordan I really enjoyed your take on this news.
    .-= Brian Fanslau´s last blog ..3 Tips for Success In This Economy =-.

  • Pingback: Google 占到全球所有网络流量的 6%,全球第一 | 谷奥——探寻谷歌的奥秘

  • Pingback: Web-Based Internet Traffic | SEO Summary

  • http://stevenroddy.com Steven Roddy

    It really is crazy the amount of power that Google holds. I think my site get about 2% of all traffic. :) Soon…lol
    .-= Steven Roddy´s last blog ..6 Marketing Research Methods =-.

  • http://weddingringsengagementrings.blogspot.com Abol Joe

    It’s looks like Google will dominate the traffic for a long time !!

  • http://www.searchenginerankings.com.au Arrow SEO

    Great set of stats. PSP constitute 18% internet traffic, down from 40%, that’s very interesting. I like to see number of mobile internet traffic, i think that will massively increase in the future.

  • http://www.easytourchina.com/ China tours

    It seems that it is getting even harder for other rivals to beat Google, even get closer behind it. I like to see competitions, not domination.

  • http://www.homebusinessintheuk.com Andre_W

    I am always very wary when large organisations like Google dominate anything as powerful as the internet. It is then prone to be interfered with by large governments. We live in a weird world of power struggles and covert operations.
    Maybe my imaginings would be a good plot for a book.

  • Pingback: Primero Google, después Gmail ahora Google Wave « The Missing Geek