Study: 79% of Twitter Accounts Are Not Actively Used
Lots of cool Twitter statistics coming out of Barracuda Networks new study (pdf).
Where do I start?
- 21% of Twitter users are actually using the service–meaning that have at least 10 followers, follow at least 10 people, and have tweeted at least 10 times.
- 74% of Twitter users have less than 10 followers! However, that number is improving with a 30% increase in the number of users with 10+ followers (since June 2009)
- 60% of Twitter users follow less than 10 people
- 34% of Twitter users have more followers than others they are following, showing an 70% increase from 20% in June 2009
- 73% of users have less than 10 tweets, as compared to 79% in June 2009.
- 49% of Twitter users joined between November 2008 and April 2009–the period when many celebrities jumped on the Twitter bandwagon
- Twitter’s growth spiked at 21% in April 2009
Lastly, who tweets the most? Those with around 1,000 followers do:
I’m guessing that’s the sweet spot of actually being able to engage and keep-up with your followers.