Cup of Joe: Do Your Customers Look Like Idiots?
Flame-Resistant Sleepwear For Everyone In The Family.
Wow! Just wow! It seems to me that if you and your family were sleeping in a location that is especially conducive to catching on fire, then maybe, just maybe, you might want to find a new place to sleep. I mean I think finding new sleepwear would be the last thing on my list. But, for the hell of it, let’s assume that there’s a reason that your entire family is sleeping on top of a volcano.
So, now you are wearing your fire proof PJs and obviously from the image above, you are happy as hell! I mean there’s nothing finer than looking like a mashup between Little House On The Prairie and Bobo The Clown. However, while you might be impressed with your “Festive Red Candy Stripes” I am willing to bet that everyone else thinks you are crazy and is laughing at you. Because let’s face it, if anyone ever saw you in that getup above, they would think you were an idiot.
So, we all know that as a Marketing Pilgrim reader, you are way too smart to ever use a product that makes you look dumb. But, are your customers?
Businesses have an obligation to their customers not to make them look stupid. When someone buys a product or service they are putting their trust in a company. Part of that trust is that they will not look like an idiot. Which is why building amazing products is so important. You are probably thinking, well why would anyone willingly use or buy a product that makes them look stupid in the first place? Unfortunately, most customers that buy products that make them look stupid do so because they are completely oblivious.
I see this happen way too many times in the internet marketing space, and quite honestly it’s sad. There are too many companies that end up looking like idiots because the SEO firm they used didn’t know what they were doing and gave them bad consulting. There are tpo many companies, organizations, and individuals that look like idiots because their web designer didn’t apply proven design concepts to create a good web site. There are too many marketing professionals that end up looking like idiots because they rely on tool sets and data that is just plain wrong.
How to make your customer look good:
- Be transparent with everything you do for your customer. Help them see the full picture so they can make their own decisions.
- Provide excellent raw data. This means that along with metrics make sure they are also getting everything that went into those metrics, even if that means a thousand line spreadsheet.
- Continue to support your product. Too often users will begin to use a product only to find out 6 months later, that the company they bought from no longer supports the product.
- Educate your customer at every step of the way through the buying and using process.
- Quite simply provide an outstanding product that everyone wants.
In the end you have an obligation to your customers and yourself to not make anyone look like an idiot. Otherwise you will start to receive the type of word of mouth marketing, that no one wants!