Marketing Pilgrim's "Inbound Marketing" Channel

Sponsor Marketing Pilgrim's Inbound Marketing Channel today! Get in front of some of the most influential readers in the Internet and social media marketing industry. Contact us today!

Pew Study Shows Email and Search Still Top Internet Activities




Our favorite source of information, the Pew Internet & American Life Project, has released its annual findings of what are the most popular activities on the Internet. As a reminder, we like Pew the most because by all appearances it seems that this research isn’t just a veiled PR stunt like most of the “research” that is passed around these days.

First, the simple fact that all marketers should be paying attention to the basics despite the daily temptation to rabbit trail after the latest and great online toys that promise the world but barely deliver a neighborhood at times. Those basics are email and search and they are still the dominant activities online by far.

Social is rising and that shouldn’t be ignored but good marketing is like anything else in that mastery of the basics should come before getting ahead of the game with the current online fad or flavor of the day. In other words, market accordingly!

Second, Pew looks at who is searching. The real tale of the tape here is the sad fact that the lower the economic status of a person the less likely they will do searches. That could be due to availability of Internet connection, education or any other variable that defines those who make less money than others.

And finally, as for email, it still rocks and it gets more attention in the lower economic group as well.

So in the end these statistics once again point to the need to be where the people are and for now which places email and search as the leaders. Social has its place and that place is growing considerably but to get caught up in all the hype could be taking a marketer’s eye off the ball, so to speak.

So what is your opinion? Should the basics be completely under control or is that just a conservative approach to marketing in the online space? What are the factors that might make a less than full hearted attempt at email and search marketing in favor of social media marketing a good move?

  • http://www.brickmarketing.com/white-hat-link-building Nick Stamoulis

    The best Internet marketing campaigns will have a combination of email, search, social media and more. Integration is key! You can’t put all your eggs in one basket and hope it turns out for the best. You want to create as many touch points as possible with your target audience. This means being in multiple places at once.

    • http://www.getfoundfirst.com/blog.php Stu Draper

      Nick is spot on. Sometimes I do so much of one or two types of online marketing and the rest don’t get the attention they deserve. Great post Frank.

  • http://www.websiteseoprofessionals.com SEO Professionals

    People are spending more and more time on the internet. Their activities vary from person to person but there are a few activities that can definitely be listed as the most popular, across the board.
    Email, Games, Social Networking, Shopping, News, Weather info, Travel, Health info, Hobbies, Entertainment.

  • http://justindupre.com Justin Dupre

    Interesting data you have here. What’s amazing is how fast social networking has increased based on the graph. Anyone into the Internet marketing business should take advantage of this.

  • http://www.rothiracompass.com Ryan @ Roth IRA

    I’m really surprised that search engines get 92% since they’re such a major part of finding information. How does the other 8% find stuff online?