Marketing Pilgrim's "Mobile" Channel

Sponsor Marketing Pilgrim's Mobile Channel today! Get in front of some of the most influential readers in the Internet and social media marketing industry. Contact us today!

The Android Diet: 1 Hour Per Day, Consume 67 Percent Apps and 33 Percent Web




Think of all the things that are advertised as being done in just an hour a day. In the Internet marketing space there are books about just about any subject like SEO, social media, you name it, that can be done in an hour a day.

Well, Nielsen has given us a look into the life of the Android device user and found that even the mobile habit is handled in an hour a day. The first reported finding shows that of that hour (it’s actually 56 minutes but we round up for link friendly reasons :-) ), 67% of that hour is spent with apps while the rest of the time is spent on the web. What constitutes web time is a question that would help us understand this a bit better but we’ll save that for later.

What is even more interesting is that even with the Android market’s claims of hundreds of thousands of apps people don’t seem to care as much about variety as you might think.

The top 50 apps account for 61 percent of all time spent. With 250,000+ Android apps available at the time of this writing, that means the remaining 249,950+ apps have to compete for the remaining 39 percent of the pie.

So what conclusions can we draw here? First, getting the attention of an app user for your Android app on a large scale is a tough row to hoe. With only 40% of the remaining time that is allowed for apps use, that’s a much smaller pie for that remaining 99.98% to fight over and, let’s face it, what the next 50 most popular ones are likely to chew up the bulk of that time.

One has to wonder how this plays out with iPhone apps. Do these same percentages apply?

In the end though, as marketers it’s probably more important to make sure your core audience is going to download and use your app, even if that number is relatively small. Hitting it big with big numbers of users is likely the equivalent of having a ton of followers on Twitter. Unless they use your app and are engaged the numbers are useless.

Do these findings surprise you? What does this tell you about Android users, if anything at all?

  • http://mobile--tracker.blogspot.com/ mobiletracker

    thanks for this important information.Nokia N9 MeeGo Smartphone

  • http://intelli-diet.com Olivia

    The best weight loss app for the iPhone is hands down intelli-Diet (http://intelli-Diet.com). This app is fantastic in that it takes into account what you have in your pantry ad the food that you like ad it plans out a diet for you to follow based on the amount of weight that you want to lose and also how you currently weight and how tall you are. It will tell you based on the data that you input how long it will take you to reach the weight that you want to be. If you are lucky enough to have reached your goal, it tells you how to maintain it. The app allows you to email your plan to an email address which is good because I often want to printy my daily pland and I do not have a way to do that off of my iPhone. I have bought one for my sister as a birthday present and she reports that it is the best diet app that she has ever used. She and I hate to count calories and the beauty of this diet is that you do not have to cout anything. The app does all the counting and figuring for you. I hate the entire serving size calculations that many diets require and there is none of that calculating while using this app. Another very cool thing about this app is that it give syou many alternatives to the menus that it suggests ad you can just refresh the screen to bring up another suggestion. The app has a water tracker for folks like me who forget to drink water and it even has a reminder function to remind you that it is time for a snack or watever. This app is super!