Google’s Verbatim Search For A True Exact Match
When you go click on more search tools at Google.com you can choose “verbatim search” and the following typical algorithm assists are NOT used according to the Inside Search blog.
- making automatic spelling corrections
- personalizing your search by using information such as sites you’ve visited before
- including synonyms of your search terms (matching “car” when you search [automotive])
- finding results that match similar terms to those in your query (finding results related to “floral delivery” when you search [flower shops]
- searching for words with the same stem like “running” when you’ve typed [run]
- making some of your terms optional, like “circa” in [the scarecrow circa 1963]
So in other words, on those occasions when you are looking for that perfect misspelled search you can have it so Google won’t go in and do the thinking for you.
I’ll be honest, I am not sure when this would be used but Google has to keep making “improvements” to search to look like they are concerned about competition.