What Performance Should You Expect from In App Ads?

Mobile is on everyone’s minds these days. Whether you are talking about iOS v. Android devices or wondering just how many people have smartphones these days, there is plenty to discuss.

As marketers we are most interested in who has them and if they respond well to advertising. eMarketer points out some data around the performance of in app ads that is, well, not exactly awe-inspiring. First, there is a look at some data from a Lab42 study about just how many in app ads users click on.

Of course, I can only speak from a personal perspective but I don’t know if I have clicked on more than 10 ads anywhere in my life so to see that even some 30% have clicked on 6 or more in app ads is interesting to me. Of course, the other 70 percent is at 5 or less clicks with 20% of those surveyed never clicking on an in app ad.

Google Pushing Google+ Like Nothing Before

I know it seems like I am obsessing over the fact that Google is marketing Google+ but it is a rare phenomenon in this world to see a company that almost never used traditional advertising channels now turn to them to build awareness around a critical piece of their story.

We have seen plenty of TV ads for Chrome that elude to the Google ecosystem but recently that are all about Google+ and nothing else. We have seen the Muppets and I have seen one ad with NBA analysts during the opening day marathon of games on Christmas Day.

One that caught my eye though was this from the New York Post’s online edition.

Home Businesses Flourish on LiveJournal Singapore

In 2011, small business owners in Singapore set up shop on LiveJournal and completed transactions worth $72 million USD. They call them “blogshops” and there are over 50,000 of them currently running on the social blogging site.

Livejournal recently released a statement about their success and it is pretty amazing, mostly because it’s a singularly Singaporean phenomenon. They say the businesses are mostly small, home-based operations that have grown organically as an inexpensive way of getting started.

Right now, says LJ, only 10% are earning more than USD $1,500 a month but that’s nothing to cry about. Top earners are pulling in as much as USD $15,000 a month selling mostly clothing, beauty item and tech items.

Holiday Shopping: It Ain’t Over Until it’s Over

Last night, after the gifts were opened and the holiday glow was being to wear off, I saw a TV commercial for Wal-mart that shook me to the core. Wal-mart opens at 5 a.m. on December 26 for the the biggest, blow-out, post holiday sale ever.

I had instant Black Friday flashbacks. Seriously? 5 a.m.? I used to be a big post holiday shopper, but like 44% of the people Consumer Reports polled, I can’t deal with the crowds.

Consumer Reports also says that the holiday shopping season will continue until the ball drops in Times Square as 4 out of 10 Americans say they’re still shopping.

82% are hoping to take advantage of post-holiday sales. And a quick look around, says there are plenty of deals to be had. Stores aren’t just marking down holiday items, they’re clearing the shelves.

Should Twitter Thank the Media for Its Growth?

Twitter is all about being viral. It’s about what is hot and trending at the moment. It is a way to get news before other media outlets can get it to you. It’s the new wave of media, right?

Well, according to a study from MIT as reported by 10,000 Words, Twitter is most likely to want to thank the media for fueling its growth while it’s trying to speed traditional media’s demise. The video below depicts the spread of Twitter usage over its existence and the major growth coincides with media coverage and old school networking principles based on tracking of news through Google Insights for Search. The video below depicts this growth.

Using Twitter on Behalf of Your Employer? You Better Watch Out!

First, we hope you had a Merry Christmas and are easing your way back into work with an easy “wind down” week. We highly recommend it if possible :-).

To keep you alert, here is a cautionary tale to end the year on. It involves an employee, the Twitter account they kept while working for a company, an “agreement” and the logical end to all things uncertain, a lawsuit.

The New York Times tells us about Noah Kravitz formerly of Phonedog.com

The question is: Can a company cash in on, and claim ownership of, an employee’s social media account, and if so, what does that mean for workers who are increasingly posting to Twitter, Facebook and Google Plus during work hours?

A lawsuit filed in July could provide some answers.

The Christmas Story Social Media Style

We here at Marketing Pilgrim wish you a very Merry Christmas. Here is the Christmas story in a very social media way.