Some Tips On How To Guest Post on Marketing Pilgrim
Every day we are tasked with keeping our readers informed with what we believe are some of the more interesting developments in the world of Internet and social media marketing. Some days there is a lot to talk about and other days, well, not so much.
It’s the times of ‘not so much’ that we often look to guest posts to help us fill the void, add new, fresh voices to the blog and ultimately give our readers information that keeps them connected to us.
So how to we determine who will guest post for us? Well, I did a pretty detailed post last year describing some best practices for getting the attention of the managing editor. (For the record, that’s just a title. I am a blogger who can manage the process as well (most of the time), no more no less. In other words, I am a regular guy so keep that in mind as you read this). That post is a great primer but based on the amount of blind requests coming in recently here at Marketing Pilgrim I think there is need for a refresher course.
Here is the quick (but not necessarily complete) list of what to do and what not not to do if you would like to be considered for a guest post slot on Marketing Pilgrim.
- Do some outreach prior to pitching us. Maybe even try to get to know us a little. Novel idea, I realize, but it might just work.
- Do some research and have a fully developed idea (or better yet series of ideas) mapped out.
- Do some commenting on the site so you are not a total stranger trying to pitch a totally strange idea.
- Do something to get yourself invited to guest post. Those are the best relationships.
- Do come to us with something creative. We have made interesting deals at times if the situation merits.
- Don’t act as if you are entitled to guest post. Heck, I don’t deserve the chance to work with Marketing Pilgrim. I have to earn it.
- Don’t send an email that starts “I stumbled upon your blog”.
- Don’t try to butter us up. It’s not becoming of you.
- Don’t come to us with content you are spreading around the Internet like fertilizer. If you do that, there’s a good chance we will think it is on par with fertilizer.
- Don’t think we are cheap. In other words, we are not looking for one night ‘wham, bam blog you m’am’ contributors. We are looking for people to blog who are interested in building an audience and that takes a while. We’re not a blogging floozy.
- Don’t dictate terms. As soon as someone says ‘and in return I need …..’ I hit delete. Why? Because if you look at our past practices we are pretty liberal with link opportunities and promotion in most cases. In the end, though we have the editorial right to do what we feel is best for the blog and our readers, not for you.
- Don’t think your advertorial is real content. It’s PR and we know it because you are really obvious. Oh and it is not pretty.
There is a lot more to consider but know this. We are always looking for good guest posters on Marketing Pilgrim. Right now we have some great folks like Dan Wilkerson of Lunametrics, the team at PPC Associates, Jon Parks and others who are part of the MP extended family. We have a real nice ‘two way street’ kind of relationship and we both get what we need. We get great content and they get a great audience. A win / win for sure.
So please continue to consider being a guest blogger here at Marketing Pilgrim. We would love to have you on board. Maybe a great way to start is commenting on this post to ‘introduce’ yourself?
Thanks for reading and please let us know how we can be of service!