While we knew this was coming eventually it’s still something to admire. Whether you love of hate Facebook this milestone is one that needs at least a quick hat tip.
Mark Zuckerberg kept it pretty low key in announcing this in the Facebook newsroom.
This morning, there are more than one billion people using Facebook actively each month.
If you’re reading this: thank you for giving me and my little team the honor of serving you.
Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life.
I am committed to working every day to make Facebook better for you, and hopefully together one day we will be able to connect the rest of the world too.
You can download a fact sheet that will give some information like this
• Over 1.13 trillion likes since launch in February 2009
• 140.3 billion friend connections
• 219 billion photos uploaded
* Data was pulled on 9/10/2012, and represents the total # of photos currently on this site – in other words, it excludes deleted photos. If we wanted to include all photos ever uploaded, the estimate we have is 265 billion. Photo uploading launched fall 2005.
• 17 billion location-tagged posts, including check-ins
* Includes location-tagged posts as well as check-ins. Data was pulled 9/10/2012, and represents total location-tagged posts & check-ins since launch of the product in August 2010
• 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times – that’s about 210,000 years of music
* Data was pulled on 9/11/2012, and represents song plays since the launch of music-listening applications in September 2011
So does this matter to you at all? Are you one of the jaded or one of the disinterested or one of some other flavor?