No matter how it plays out, we here at Marketing Pilgrim are praying for safety for everyone in the path of the storm.
While Google may not offer prayer (not publicly at least) they are offering a special Hurricane Sandy crisis response map. Here is an interactive version that Google is telling folks to share. If the map is not showing up immediately, please refresh your browser.
The Google Lat Long blog tells us more
On the map, you’ll find the following emergency preparedness information:
- Location tracking, including the hurricane’s current and forecasted paths, courtesy of the NOAA-National Hurricane Center
- Public alerts, including evacuation notices, storm warnings, and more, via weather.gov and earthquake.usgs.gov
- Radar and cloud imagery from weather.com and the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory
- Evacuation information and routes
- Shelters and recovery centers will appear as they become operational
- Storm footage and storm-related YouTube videos, curated by Storyful
We’ve also launched a map specific to New York City, featuring evacuation zone information from NYC Open Data, open shelters, weather information and live webcams.
All business stuff and company sniping aside, it’s good to see a company do something with their resources for the greater good.
If you are in New York City here is the more specific map which has shelter information and more.
Once again we are simply praying for everyone’s safety.