Sears and Kmart to Offer Amazon-like Free Shipping Membership
Today, Sears and Kmart announced an upgrade to their Shop Your Way membership program that sounds incredibly familiar – free 2-day shipping on “mailable items” for $79 a year. I’ve always thought $79 was a lot to fork over ahead of time in order to get fast, free shipping but at least with Amazon, you get free movie downloads and ebooks as a bonus.
What’s Sears offering? How about double points on qualifying purchases. Every 1,000 points equals $1 off a future purchase, so it sweetens the pot a little. Then they add in the promise of all kinds of exclusive deals and bonus opportunities. In other words, they’ve turned shopping at Sears and Kmart into a game. The goal? See if you can earn back the $79 you spent without breaking your budget.
Sears’ Shop Your Way membership offer is particularly interesting because it doesn’t just work online. Shoppers can download the app and use it to get points and deals while shopping at their local store.
Sears is leaving nothing to chance. This holiday season, they’re offering just about every possible option for shopping and shipping:
- Free Shipping: Shoppers can enjoy Free Shipping on orders of $49 or more at Sears.com, Kmart.com and mygofer.com. In addition, SHOP YOUR WAY MAX Members receive unlimited Free Shipping with no order minimums.
- Faster Shipping: Faster delivery on thousands of items at Sears.com, Kmart.com and mygofer.com.
- Buy Online, Pick Up In-Store: This service is available at Sears.com and Kmart.com and features free same-day pick up at a local store and curbside pickup in select locations. Purchases made from Sears.com or through any of its mobile offerings are backed by Sears’ “Ready in 5 Guarantee,” which promises customers that their confirmed pick up orders on select items will be ready within five minutes or they’ll be rewarded with a $5 Sears coupon.
- Same-Day Delivery: Holiday shoppers can also reap the benefits of same day delivery of top holiday gifts from toys and electronics to foods and fashionable slippers in 20 major markets powered by mygofer.com.
- Layaway Ship-to-Home: Beginning Nov. 7 all products purchased through online layaway at Kmart.com and Sears.com are available for ship-to-home delivery. Kmart has removed layaway service fees through Nov. 21; Sears has eliminated layaway service fees through Dec. 3.
Excessive? Kind of, but it’s an excellent example of how companies are merging the online and offline shopping experience. And, short of the invention of the a fore mentioned transporter beam, this is as good as it’s going to get. Seriously, “same-day delivery” in some metropolitan areas? Last minute shoppers are rejoicing as we speak.
It’s not enough to offer low prices these days, it’s the level of customer service that will keep the customers coming back.