The Beal Deal with Dharmesh Shah (@dharmesh)
Here’s something a little different for this week’s Beal Deal. Someone I admire from afar, but have never actually met in person. How’s that for an endorsement!
If you’re not already digesting everything that Dharmesh Shah tweets, posts, or publishes, then you are doing your business a disservice. A serial (successful) entrepreneur, Dharmesh’s current project is a little software company you may have heard of…HubSpot!
If you’re running a startup–or have aspirations to build a startup–then you should be following Dharmesh. Here’s a glimpse at what you’ll get.
1. At HubSpot, you’ve raised an impressive $65M. How different would your company look without that venture capital?
We raised an additional $35 million in Q4 2012, so now HubSpot has raised $100 million in venture capital. In terms of how the company would be different without the capital? Completely. Ever since my co-founder and I started the company, we’ve had aspirations to build it into a big, successful, sustainable business. This would not have been possible without raising venture capital.
2. I often see you tweeting that you are working late into the night. How does someone as busy as you find time for notion of a “work-life” balance?
I reject the idea of “doing time at work” and then “escaping to life”.
3. With your entrepreneurship blog OnStartUps, you provide lots of valuable advice for start-ups. What has your audience taught you?
People value humanness and authenticity
4. You and SEOmoz’s Rand Fishkin appear to have a bromance going on. How did that start and where’s the relationship heading?
Venture capital was one of very few topics that I might know about more than Rand
In terms of where the relationship is headed: We both continue to be frantically busy with our businesses. We’re working together on inbound.org, which has been fun and we take every opportunity to get together when we’re in the same city.
5. What books do you consider a “must read” for any entrepreneur?
Here’s my reading list: http://onstartups.com/Resources/ReadingList/tabid/3356/Default.aspx
6. What does 2013 look like for you and HubSpot?
More crazy growth. We’re about 460 people in the company now, and expect to grow pretty fast this year. I’m having a fantastic time. Spending time doing the things I love: Writing code, evangelizing inbound marketing — and thinking about strategy, talent and culture.
Thanks Dharmesh. Say hi to Rand from me!