When we saw that they are looking to find a top notch search marketer for their Boston operations it only made sense to put this great opportunity in front of some of the best search marketers in the world: our audience.
We asked a few questions of the folks at Oxfam, in particular Megan Weintraub and Victoria Marzilli, to give you some insight about this great opportunity. Hat tip as always to my friend, Bob Ferguson, who helps keep me informed of Oxfam’s efforts and keeps the music flowing.
1. You are looking to hire for someone to execute your search marketing strategy. Is this a new position for OXFAM? If so what helped you decide that it was a needed position?
This is not a new position. We’ve had someone on staff performing these duties since early 2011 when we saw a need for someone to help make our content easier to find through Google and other search engines and to manage our Google Grant, an advertising platform used by nonprofits to reach new and existing audiences.
2. Your organization is ‘purpose’ driven’. Is it important for your hires to be ‘on board’ with the mission?
Individuals who are able to fully embrace our mission and our approach to development are in a better position to succeed because they will have a more capable understanding of our work which will translate into more effective communication with our audience. It will be easier for them to grasp the many issues we work on and to write engaging content. In this role in particular, it’s important to be able to synthesize complex issues or messages into just a few words or phrases.
3. As a non-profit how do you plan to compete with for-profit businesses to access the pool of talent in the search space?
We are looking for competent and committed people who want to contribute their heft towards our mission. We offer a competitive overall compensation package with the opportunity to work on some critical issues with amazing colleagues. We take pride in what we do and hope to find talented people who are similarly inclined.
4. Would you consider a remote worker or is this a position that needs to be at headquarters?
Success in this role depends on tight collaboration with many individuals and teams within the organization. The New Media Specialist will also be working on a small team of digital communications experts, so while my preference is to continue to build a team at the Boston headquarters, I have worked remotely myself and can understand the advantages of that work arrangement.
5. What can a concentration in search and online marketing do for your organization? What areas are you looking to impact with an online strategy?
We hope to expand the reach of our content and to drive traffic to our website so we can engage more supporters on our mission to right the wrongs of poverty, hunger, and injustice.
Oxfam America is a global organization working to right the wrongs of poverty, hunger, and injustice. We save lives, develop long-term solutions to poverty, and campaign for social change. As one of 17 members of the international Oxfam confederation, we work with people in more than 90 countries to create lasting solutions.