The distracted customer: how to keep their attention?
So how do you keep the attention of a potential customer? Your job is to get your customer to take an action. Whether that is to download something, or sign up with their email, or buy something, or whatever. If they pay attention, and then do something, you convert. And conversions mean success.
- In 2013 the average attention span of a user was 8-seconds, compared to a whopping 12-seconds in the year 2000.
- The average number of times per hour an office worker checks their email inbox is 30.
- The percent of page views that last less than 4 seconds is 17%
- The percent of page views that lasted more than 10 minutes is only 4%
- The percent of words read on web pages with 111 words or less is 49%, not bad.
- But, the percent of words read on an average (593 words) web page drops to 28%
So what we’re seeing here is that people are not paying attention, especially to words on a page.
Now the big number on video. The average length watched of a single internet video is 2.7 minutes!!!
I repeat. A person will sit and watch a video for an average of 2.7 minutes.